The UUK–UCU Joint Expert Panel (JEP) meetings will be confidential, and involve only 7 people — the Chair plus 3 nominees each from UUK and UCU.
Open UPP 2018 will run in parallel to the Joint Expert Panel, and will do what USSbriefs does best:
- open things up
- broaden the debate
- allow multiple people to be part of it
- do things in public
Open UPP will generously interpret the JEP’s Term of Reference. We will open up 2017 USS valuation in particular, and scheme valuation in general:
- how it is done and might be done
- who feeds and should feed into it
- whose assumptions get and should get to matter
We want proper analyses of:
- intergenerational fairness
- what addressing “equality considerations” actually involves
- the role of the regulatory framework and government
We also welcome analyses — and particularly critiques — of those “alternative scheme design” options mentioned in the JEP Terms of Reference. Joanne Segars has said she “warmly welcome[s] submissions on any issue relevant to our work”. So we also invite all those submitting to JEP to submit their materials to Open UPP too.